March 19, 2013

Google Reader is dead? What now?!

As everyone has already told you (no, but seriously, last Thursday I probably read over 50 blogs that all had this same sort of post...), Google is putting the kabosh on Google Reader (and soon enough, probably GFC) effective July 1st, 2013. 

Now, contrary to rumors, GFC is not ending in July (as we know of right now). Nathan @ Life and Everything Else In-Between does a good job of clearing this up on his post here.

Basically, this doesn't mean you will necessarily lose any followers (aka the number by GFC), but it does mean you could lose some readers (those who use Google Reader to catch up on all their favorite blogs) & we all know that's what is most important.

To save you from this drama, import your blogs you follow on Reader into Bloglovin! I did this last Wednesday night & it was simple. Plus, Bloglovin is actually a lot more user-friendly to read blogs on. It keeps track of which ones you've already read and, I find, I'm actually commenting on blogs a lot more. Win, win!

If you still need to transfer your blogs over, have no fear! I am here to help!

Step 1: Go to Google Takeout.

Step 2: Click on "Choose services".

Step 3: Click on "Reader".

Step 4: Wait until the red box says 100%. Then click "Create Archive".

Step 5: Let it load and say "Complete". Then click "Download".

Step 6: Enter your password on the next page.

Step 7: A box will pop up to Save File. Hit OK.

Step 8: After download is complete, open up the location where it saved on your computer.

Step 9:  Double click on the file folder. Then double click on Reader.


Step 11: Click "Browse". Choose the file that says "subscriptions.xml". Then click upload.

Step 12: It may take awhile. After the importing is done, you may get a screen that says "File Empty" (like below). However, check the Bloglovin home page &, more than likely, all your imported blogs will show up.

Voila! That's all it takes. 

And if this is just too much for you, just click here to follow me on Bloglovin!

Now worry no more!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Breanna, I just noticed that you are following my blog now- thank you! Also, guess what?? I went to Luther too!! And I am still totally obsessed with it. Nice to meet a fellow Norse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh man, I kept getting the empty warning and I kept trying again - I wonder how many times everything transferred? I transferred a lot by hand because of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Done! If you don't mind I think I will send my readers over to your blog so they can read your explanation on how to join up on Bloglovin!
    Thanks :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this! I'm bookmarking this to do when I get home.

    chevrons&anchors.com

    ReplyDelete