July 1, 2013

That Time I Was (Almost) A Rock Star

Well, not really, but let's pretend.

Throughout all four years of my high school career, I was in the concert choir. It counted as a class & you didn't have to audition to get a spot (because otherwise, let's face it, I wouldn't have been a part of it).

A lot Most students took choir for a slack-off class, an easy A, or to goof around with their friends. I, however, took it seriously because I love music, I love singing, and I like learning about singing. Nerd alert.

At the end of my Sophomore year, the older choir (Sophomore through Senior) recorded a "demo" if you will (like I said, rock star). Our director sent it to be judged by a team of music educators in the Minneapolis area. We sang Moses Hogan's Battle of Jericho, Eric Whitacre's Cloudburst, & Keith Hampton's Praise His Holy Name. Remember, we were/are a Catholic high school.

Why do I still remember what songs we recorded? Because those were some of my favorites I sang during my four years. We also sang the Phantom of the Opera medley, Wicked medley, & some other songs I loved.

At the beginning of my junior year, we found out that out of a hundred or more schools to send in a CD, we were one of only six or something chosen to perform at the Minnesota Music Educators Convention up in Minneapolis!

They made our songs we performed into a CD (I tried to upload to Grooveshark to share with you, but alas, it would not work.). I still listen to it all the time because I love the songs we sang & I remember how exciting that day was. Did we mess up some of the harmony on The Awakening? Sure. Did we miss some words on Praise His Holy Name? A few. But did we all burst into laughter when, at the start of Praise His Holy Name, our director threw on a pair of sunglasses? Yeah!

Just call me Breanna Atlanta. (get it, get it - Hannah Montana. Breanna Atlanta. Hah)



post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment