March 14, 2013

Notes on Nursing - Meet Amy!



Here's the second week of Notes on Nursing! If you would like to be a part of it, just leave a comment or e-mail me at friebr01@luther.edu.
____________________________________________________________________________


Meet Amy from The Charming!

 _DSC0871v pano 600w photo _DSC0871vpano600w.jpg


I am a senior in my nursing program at a school in Atlanta, Georgia. I started out in 2011 and I have grown a lot as a person and future nurse since I started two years ago. I have been incredibly lucky so far to have attained a lot of unique and varied clinical experiences and I am looking forward to putting all the skills I've learned in to a career as a nurse.


When do you graduate?
Summer 2013

What made you want to be a nurse?
God. I know that sounds cheesy, but it was a very spur of the moment decision, one that was incredibly inspired by the Holy Spirit. I was almost done with my first degree in History and then just felt this amazing feeling that He had a better plan for me in nursing. That was on a Friday and by Monday I was calling my school to change programs. I have never looked back. Each and every day I feel a stronger passion for being a nurse. I know that, though nursing is challenging, this is where I am supposed to be and I love it.

What area of nursing are you interested in?
I am primarily interested in public health nursing and pediatric oncology.

What has been your favorite nursing class so far? Least favorite?
Community health nursing is so far my favorite, with OB and pediatrics a solid second, and pathophysiology maybe a third.
Least favorite would have to be med-surg -- only because I really struggled with it!

What is your favorite skill you've learned or performed so far?
I'm good with wounds. I've been very fortunate to have had a wonderful variety of experiences in clinical settings, from starting IVs, inserting NG tubes, and seeing just about every organ in the body in the OR. But I think what makes me different from my peers is that I find wounds super cool, and therefore I can handle them with relative ease: dressing changes and the like.

What makes you most nervous about becoming a nurse?
Being assertive. I know it's going to be rough as a new grad nurse, I hear the stories. 

What three things are must-haves for surviving nursing school?
1. support system
2. a supply of coffee/tea/echinacea/vitamin c
3. a hobby

Any advice for those thinking about nursing school?
Don't get in to nursing because it is "stable" and you're going to make money, etc. Nursing is NOT for everyone. And nursing school is rough - there are a lot of nursing students that attend therapy at our school. It's hard, competitive, and can be gross if you don't have the stomach for it. You will see a lot and you will do a lot. There is a shortage of nurses, yes; but that doesn't mean hospitals are hiring! They are a business impacted by the economy like anyone else (and you will see the impact of this when you're working in clinicals). You will see/clean up/touch/smell blood and other bodily fluids, you will be exposed to a variety of diseases and conditions, and, most importantly, you will be exposed to death. You need to be aware of all of this, because nurses have a high burnout rate and I think, in this economy, a lot of potential nursing students just see the dollar signs.

______________________________________________________________________________

This girl speaks the truth. No one in my area is really hiring nurses at all, yet they still say there's a shortage. And I am definitely nervous about being assertive....and calling doctors! 

Thanks Amy!

Also, don't forget to enter Logan's giveaway! I'm contributing 1 month VIP ad space + a bottle of Rimmel nail polish!

Finally, stay up to date with Sweet Silver Lining all the time by following me on Bloglovin!

1 comment: