July 24, 2012

Childhood Summer Vacation

Today's my first guest post on my blog! Yay!

Hosted by 20SB, it's all about your favorite childhood vacation. 

My favorite summer vacation is posted over on Lily's blog and you can read Lily's favorite vacation story below.

Enjoy!
__________________________________________________________________________________

Hello Silver Lining readers! My name is Lily and I blog over at Is it too early for a martini? And I’m here to tell you about my favorite childhood memory.

I was six years old and it was the first time I had ever gone on vacation without my parents. My paternal grandmother took me to Mexico with her to visit our family.

It started out horribly. I didn’t feel well at all the day before. Maybe I was a little nervous of traveling with my grandmother who can be a little (Read: REALLY) scary at times. I didn’t sleep at all on the plane ride like I usually do.

When we got to my great aunt’s house, my grandmother told me to go play outside with the kids in the neighborhood and gave me a few pesos to buy some candy for myself and the other kids. I was going back into the house and I collapsed. I have no idea what happened, I just remember waking up in a bed and having a killer headache. I immediately wanted the vacation to be over.

Luckily, my mother’s family lives in the same city as my dad’s family. My grandmother took me over to my maternal grandparent’s house to visit. All of my cousins were there. I asked my grandmother if I could stay and she said it was fine. We played games all day and we had a huge Mexican dinner. I was having such a great time that I completely forgot I had almost cracked my head open in front of my great aunt’s house.

After a few days, I was back at my great aunt’s house. I loved the way she cooked and that she let me drink lots of soda, and she let me eat candy before dinner. I loved that she didn’t have a filter when she and my grandmother would talk. It was just her saying anything she wanted to say, even if there was a 6 year old around. This was the last time I saw, she passed away a few years later.

A little preface - I was born with a tooth. That tooth was a little loose when we left Chicago. My mom was hoping that it would fall out when I got back from my vacation, but of course, nothing ever happens the way you plan. My tooth was being a pain, it hurt when I chewed and I made it a point to complain about it.

My grandmother got tired of my whining. She took me to the dentist who said it needed to be taken out immediately. Well, I’m a sucker for pain…. The dentist didn’t use anesthesia, and just yanked out my tooth.

Of course, being a six year old, I told my grandma that I was excited to meet the Tooth Fairy for the first time. She told me the Tooth Fairy can’t travel to Mexico, so she has a little mouse help her - but he pays in Mexican money. I put my tooth under my pillow that night, hoping for at least enough money to buy more candy. When I woke up, there was 1000 pesos (+/- $100 USD)! I was so excited I started jumping on the bed!

My grandmother and great aunt came into the guest room and asked why I was making so much noise. “Look at all the money the mouse left me! For one tooth!”

My grandma realized she pulled out the wrong bills (and one too many) from her purse. She decided not to burst my bubble and let me keep the money. Though, I did feel disappointed the next time I lost a tooth. This was single-handedly one of the best vacations I’ve ever had.
__________________________________________________________________________________

Ouch! Pulling a tooth with no anethesia?! What an eventful vacation, that's for sure!

Head on over to Lily's blog to read more of her stories!

1 comment: