June 26, 2012

Safe Haven


When a mysterious young woman named Katie appears in the small North Carolina town of Southport, her sudden arrival raises questions about her past. Beautiful yet self-effacing, Katie seems determined to avoid forming personal ties until a series of events draws her into two reluctant relationships: one with Alex, a widowed store owner with two young children; and another with her plain-spoken neighbor, Jo. Despite her reservations, Katie slowly begins to let down her guard, putting down roots in the community and becoming increasingly attached to Alex and his family. But even as Katie begins to fall in love, she struggles with the dark secret that still haunts and terrifies her...a post that set her on a fearful journey across the country, to the oasis of Southport. With Jo's support, Katie eventually realizes that she must choose between a life of transient safety and one of riskier rewards...and that in the darkest hour, love is the only true safe haven.


This is the summery from the inside cover of Nicholas Sparks' book Safe Haven. Let me start by saying that most of my all-time favorite books pull me in right away from the very beginning. This book was no different. Right away, I knew there was more to read and it would definitely keep my attention.

This doesn't mean I liked the ending. Actually, I just wish it had a sequel or something. It was so good that I wanted to hear more of the story. I wanted to see what happens next for the characters in the book. 

They're in the process of making this book into a movie. The role of Katie will be played by Julianne Hough and Alex will be played by Josh Duhamel. I'm not sure what to think of Julianne as the lead. I liked her in all of the musical movies she has been in, but I feel like this role is maybe too serious or mature for her as an actress. Hopefully it does the book justice. 

Anyway, pick up this book; it's a must read!


P.S. You should also read The Lucky One as I just finished that :) It took a while to get into it, but it ended up really good as well. The ending just about gave me an MI though!

No comments:

Post a Comment