May 4, 2010

The Best Day


I'm five years old, It's getting cold, I've got my big coat on
I hear your laugh & look up smiling at you; I run & run
Past the pumpkin patch & the tractor rides; look now, the sky is gold
I hug your legs & fall asleep on the way home


I don't know why all the trees change in the fall
I know you're not scared of anything at all
Don't know if Snow White's house is near or far away
But I know I had the best day with you today


I'm thirteen now & don't know how my friends could be so mean
I come home crying & you hold me tight & grab the keys
And we drive & drive until we find a town far enough away
And we talk & window shop till I've forgotten all their names


I don't know who I'm gonna talk to now at school
I know I'm laughing on the car ride home with you
Don't know how long it's gonna take to feel okay
But I know I had the best day with you today


I have an excellent father; his strength is making me stronger
God smiles on my little brother; inside & out, he's better than I am
I grew up in a pretty house & I had space to run
And I had the best days with you


There is a video I found from back when I was three
You set up a paint set in the kitchen & you're talking to me
It's the age of princesses & pirate ships & the seven dwarves
Daddy's smart & you're the prettiest lady in the whole wide world

Now I know why all the trees change in the fall
I know you were on my side even when I was wrong
And I love you for giving me your eyes
Staying back & watching me shine
And I didn't know if you knew so I'm taking this chance to say
That I had the best day with you today

"The Best Day" by Taylor Swift

No comments:

Post a Comment