October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month.
Did you know...
- One in every FOUR women will experience domestic violence in their lifetime.
- An estimated 1.3 MILLION women are victims of physical assault by an intimate partner each year.
- One in SIX women are survivors of sexual assault.
- One in five men have experienced some form of sexual victimization in their lifetime.
- Females who are 20-24 years old are at the greatest risk of nonfatal intimate partner violence.
Facts provided by the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence
"These are not numbers. They're our mothers, girlfriends, brothers, sisters, children, co-workers, and friends. They're the person you confide in most at work, the guy you play basketball with, the people in your book club, your poker buddy, your teenager's best friend - or your teen, herself. The silence and shame must end for good." nomore.org
No More is a unifying symbol supported by major domestic violence and sexual assault organizations. It represents the concept of zero - as in zero incidences of sexual assault and domestic violence and was inspired by Christine Mau, a survivor.
NO MORE SILENCE.
NO MORE VIOLENCE.
If you or someone you know is a victim of domestic violence or sexual assault, please call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-7233.