May 7, 2009

Blog Entry 14: I refuse to believe that...

...I am part of a lost generation!
"I change myself, I change the world." - Gloria Anzaldua

When I first started listening to this clip, it made me sad to think that some of the horrible things that are present in our society are making our generation completely cynical about the future. I think this, in part, is what is contributing to the bad things that are happening. One person gives up hope & refuses to believe that they can make a difference and then a domino effect happens and soon, the majority believe that they can't contribute something to help fix today's society.


"Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplaceable spark, in the hopeless swamps of the not quite, the not yet, & the not at all. Do not let the hero in your soul perish in lonely frustration for the life you deserve but have never been able to reach. The world you desire can be won. It is real. It is possible. It is yours." - Ayn Rand


Upon hearing the reverse reading (which was so cool!), I thought - this is what our generation needs to start thinking. We need to believe that we can contribute something great to this world. We need to keep hope alive that if we try our hardest to make this world a great one - it can come true. It all starts with one person & there's no time like the present.



"I am what time, circumstance, & history have made of me, certainly, but I am also much more than that. So are we all." - James Baldwin


  • My generation is not apathetic & lethargic.
  • We care about the earth.
  • I will live in a country of my own making.
  • I will not use divorce as an "easy way out".
  • This is not a quick fix society.
  • Families will stay together.
  • Family is more important than work.
  • True happiness does come from within.
  • There is hope.
  • I can change the world.

"I believe that now is the time for us to shine. The time when our dreams are within reach & possibilities vast. Now is the time for all of us to become the people we always dreamed of being. This is your world. You are here. You matter. The world is waiting..."
"Don't give up. Whatever makes you unique, whatever makes you special - don't let people take that from you. Don't decide at an early age to be bitter or negative or pessimistic. Make sure you continue to see not only the magic in the world, but the magic in yourself."


"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

No comments:

Post a Comment